We all sometimes need a little bit of extra money whether it be to cover a bill, add it to a savings account, or simply just to buy something nice and new. The good news is that a lot of us are sitting on a lump cash sum in the form of old and unwanted gold - without even realising it. Though, the question is: "How or who can I sell my gold to?"
How can I Sell my Unwanted Gold and Jewellery?
There are several paths you can take to sell your old gold that include eBay, pawn shows, cash for gold websites, local newspapers, and jewellers. Which option you decide to take really depends on how much you hope to sell it for as well as how long you are willing to wait to complete the sale.
- eBay or Local Ads: eBay or placing an ad. in a local newspaper may be one way in which you could get more money for your gold. Though, the problem is that you will have to wait, for how long? Who knows. Some items, for example, stay on eBay for months on end whilst others sell fairly quick. It all depends on the item you are selling, its condition, and the selling price. There are also risks with selling gold and jewellery by placing an ad locally. It’s not unheard of that a thief poses as a willing buyer and then ends up robbing the seller at his or her own house.
- Pawn Shops and Cash for Gold Websites: Pawn shops and cash for gold websites are another way to sell your gold. Unfortunately, a few have received a bad rep. because they come across as shady, offer bad prices, or simply do not operate in an honest manner (of course, this does not apply to all pawn shops and cash for gold websites). A cash for gold website may be an easy way to sell your gold because all you do is post it to them and then get your money transferred to you. Though, there are some risks that include you not being able to keep an eye on your gold, post going missing, items not being returned, or simply having to wait longer than expected to receive your payment.
- Jewellers: By far, the most preferred way to quickly sell your gold would be via a jeweller. Jewellers, like ourselves, see you as a potential customer and are more likely to give you the best price. We also keep the process clear, simple, and honest - and we instantly pay out. When you visit our store, we make sure that your gold is handled and weighed in front of your eyes. We will make you a no obligation necessary offer and you can walk away with instant cash in your back pocket. No waiting periods, just cash on the spot.
Manage Your Expectations
It is important that you manage your expectations when it comes to how much you can receive for your old gold and jewellery. You could have a beautiful gold necklace that belonged to your grandmother, and it is normal to add more value to personal heirlooms, but it is just a gold necklace to the people you are trying to sell it to.
Normal jewellery rarely sells for anywhere near as much as the original purchase price. The original price includes the cost of the raw materials, taxes, and profit mark-ups. Some of the large jewellery stores add as much as a 300% mark-up before selling you their jewellery, but it is understandable when you consider that they must fork out thousands of euros a week in rent alone.
It is important to be aware that jewellers, pawn shops, and cash for gold websites usually buy gold and precious metals as scrap. What this means is that when you sell your gold it will be purchased according to the value of the materials used to make your item. More than likely the item will be disassembled and later melted down into bullion. The scrap price paid depends on the weight, current market value, and purity. Purity is often overlooked by sellers and it is important to know that your gold items may not contain as much gold as you thought. For example, a 14K gold ring may only contain as much as 50% pure gold; similarly, 18k is 75% pure and 24K is 100% pure.
How to Sell your Gold to Martin Gear Jewellers
Selling your gold to Martin Gear Jewellers is as easy as 1, 2, 3. We will handle and weigh your gold right in front of you, never leaving your sight, and offer you the best possible price.
What Gold and Gold Jewellery do we Buy?
We buy all and any items that contain gold or other precious metals such as palladium and platinum - regardless of the amount or quality. Some of things you may have which contain gold include:
- Class rings
- Necklaces and bracelets
- Earrings and other miscellaneous pieces of jewellery
- Gold bars and coins
- Almost anything that contains precious metals
Cash for gold as a Store Trade-In
We also offer a store trade-in for anyone wanting to use their old gold to by new jewellery. By taking advantage of this service your scrap gold will fetch you up to 25% more value when used as a trade-in. Perfect for upgrading your jewellery or using scrap to buy an engagement or wedding ring.
Come pay us a visit on 5 Mary Street, Dublin City Centre, or contact us should you wish to find out more or want to find out exactly how much cash you may be sitting on.